Austin wrote:
I'm currently getting !41 MB/s from /dev/zero writing to the filesystem, and ~50 MB/s from the filesystem to /dev/null. It's an array of 4 IDE 7200RPM drives running at ATA100, so theoretically, I should be able to get up to 100 MB/sec per drive, correct?

Your disk performance is limited by rotational speed, not interconnect
factors.  The best you're going to see is on the order of
50MB/sec per drive.  As James Dickens noted, you may be limited
by the manner in which your drives are connected as well.  Try
dd'ing from each drive to /dev/null at the same time; this will
quickly tell you if your configuration has issues here.

I'm also wondering if the speed should be able to go over the maximum drive speed since I technically am writing to more then one drive. I'll probably be benchmarking it later on my desktop by importing and exporting (3800X2, 1 GB RAM), but more then 64 bit will be making a difference there.

I would expect 4 drives that are capable of sustained 50 MB/sec
at the same time to yield ~120MB/sec in raidz (3+1) and
160MB/sec in straight stripping mode, based on previous experiences
and assuming adequate CPU.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts