On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Joerg Schilling wrote:

Frank Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Justin Zygmont wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, James Carlson wrote:

Andrew Pattison writes:
So am I right in saying that there is no easy way of getting a grub-like
boot menu on SPARC?

Not yet ...

How are you supposed to dual boot on a SPARC then?  I have an ultra 5 with
aurora linux and solaris 10 that would a great candidate to try it.  Can
solaris 10 work with SILO at all?

Solaris/sparc bootloading hasn't changed for Solaris 10. So you should be
able to boot it via SILO. Just the SILO configuration for this isn't that
trivial.

But it's not necessary to use SILO for booting Solaris. Instead, if SILO
is installed into a slice's bootsector (the "-t" command line option / the
"partition-boot" configuration file option) then you can simply use OBP's
command line to boot either the Solaris slice or the Linux/SILO slice.

Be careful with SILO, SILO is just a bad (nonconforming) variant of the
Sparc boot used by Sun.

Silo is unmaintained and it needs to be patched to know the sector numbers
of the second stage boot. This is why SILO does not work with mkisofs while
a standard sparc boot is directly supported by mkisofs longer than SILO
exists. I did try to help the SILO people in former times to create fixes for
their probllems, but they are not interested. Forget SILO....

ok, thanks for the info:)