Roland Mainz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Laszlo (Laca) Peter" wrote:
> > So the /usr/gnu proposal[1] was approved by PSARC.  Obviously, the
> > reason for defining /usr/gnu wasn't theoretical -- it allows moving
> > GNU packages from /usr/sfw to /usr or /usr/gnu and it helps us
> > integrating more GNU packages into Solaris.  We have already seen
> > the first few putbacks (m4, bison).
> [snip]
>
> What about creating a "Shells&&Utilities" community as umbrella for the
> ksh93-integration, shells and the /usr/gnu/ project (with
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] being the main list for now) ? That would
> cover most of the recent proposal, including this one, the cron thing
> etc.

I would like to see some discussions on building a set of shared libraries
that may be used by any applicaion and that implement "interesting technology"
that in former times have only been available as "complete programs".

Libfind is an example for this kind of libraries. The find(1) command line
syntay is very powerful and people usually know it. If you add libfind
to a program, you may enhance this program without causing problems from
being forces to learn just another different set of command options.

The pipe (developed in 1974) was an invention that did give us a big
step forwards and something similar could be done by developing and using
the right set of shared libraries.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)