On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 11:51 -0800, Stephen Hahn wrote:
> > Building against an alternate root has some serious disadvantages:
> >  - you can't be really sure that the build doesn't pick up "stuff"
> >    from the real root
> >  - you need to force autotools to work in a way they weren't designed
> >    to and it's a source of much pain and hacking
>
>   There are multiple mechanisms one can use here to control the reach of
>   your build; other (non-Solaris) build systems have managed, for
>   instance, to use chroot(2) to control the contamination of the built
>   objects by local state.  I know JDS use of pkgbuild also allows this,

In fact we use chroot jails for running the JDS nightly builds, although
for a different reason -- it allows us to use the same build machine
for building different things.  It also gives us confidence that we
know our dependencies.

> > Right, it can be done.  I guess I just don't really see the
> > point.  What would be the advantage of this compared to building
> > the 2 sets of packages separately, as if they were in a different
> > consolidation, even if they are delivered together?
> > Provided that only the pkgbuild packages depend on the SFW packages
> > and not the other way around, but we already have that with JDS.
>
>   To me, it seems incomplete to give up on "SFW make"-built components
>   being potentially dependent on a pkgtool-built one, when it doesn't
>   seem to be directly ruled out.

Okay.  So what's wrong with starting to build a spec file base
separately and when SFW is ready to use them, we merge the 2
together?
If changes need to be made to pkgbuild for this to happen, I'm
happy do so.

Laca