I was very amiss as to the history of Solaris. So thank you for that. That
explains the why the prominence of the newer hardware. And of course makes
sense.
Ans as for the advanced features that's why I wanted to try and hopefully
switch to Solaris. I had read much about the system and found it extremely
attractive for my needs. Alas, then the old hardware gets in the way.

I think open source is certainly an extremely good decision for Sun because
that development will occur for the older hardware. That's why I still have
hope that someday soon I'll be able to run it on my current systems, well at
least a couple of them anyway. And if not that soon at least when I do finally
breakdown and get something newer, however my wife does accuse me of squeaking
when I walk.

As for the problems with installation they were numerous and my notes were
hauled off in the trash two days ago. So I would have to go through
installation again to give you an accurate account. In a few months I will be
able to commit sometime to that but my schedule right now does not permit that.
Thank you all and I will be back.