Eric Boutilier wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself for about the 50th time in the past year, I'd encourage these packaging-related discussions to occur with the community list specifically devoted to them, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Those in the community with ideas can actually start working on them, since the packaging sources are open, and have been for over a year now.

An interesting metric would be the percentage of core contributors who
(understandably IMO) don't read this list.

Eric, you're one of the few who could actually produce that result ;-) I know I can't. What I can say is that I do read every message that comes to install-discuss, while I only read a portion of opensolaris-discuss, so the metric you suggest still doesn't accurately reflect the actual chances of gaining attention of those you might wish to engage...

Hey, if it would help get people directed in the right place I'd split off a packaging-discuss list for the SVR4 packaging project, but I tend to doubt it would have any real effect, since these conversations (as was the case here) all too often are a digression from some completely different initial topic. But I'd certainly take feedback on that idea.

Dave