Alexander Kolbasov wrote:

I would like to propose a project aimed to improve ON build times. This can live either under tools or under performance or under some other community.

There was some discussion about it a while ago in the context of Google summer of code:

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=33951

[...]
The goal is to make builds fast enough for developers to be productive. This is, probably, going to be an open-ended project.

-- Alex Kolbasov

+1

(FYI: Even my fastest SPARC, a Sun Blade 2000 / Dual x7017a 1056 MHz / 8GB memory / FC-AL drives, needs about 4 hours currently [for a nightly non-debug build using Studio11 as primary compiler and using dmake] / even if the whole workspace sits in physical mem in /tmp/foo plus when not doing anything else)

GCC shadow compilation added noticable costs:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/gcc/shadow/
One may of course disable it in-house - for one or another personal build - (Note: I'm very happy, ON can be built with gcc and I understand that shadow compilation is a good means to keep ON gcc-clean.)

~m