a b writes:
> >What documentation is that?   It's clearly buggy.
>
> And I quote:
>
> "A patch must not change the intended delivered behavior of the package?it
> is not a mechanism for installing new features. A patch is used to repair
> objects installed on the system."

That is (as explained before) a bug in the documentation.

> Either way, I'd really appreciate if you could clarify this, and I'm quite
> confident that the community at large would benefit from the clarification
> of the above as well.

Then here's the clarification:

  Patches delivered by Sun may at times contain new features.  This is
  simply an unavoidable consequence of (a) the way patches are
  generated and (b) the way releases are managed and marketed.  It has
  been this way for many years.  All patches from Sun include precise
  information about contents.

I seriously doubt that this helps anyone in the community, though.
There are *NO* OpenSolaris patches.  There are *NO* patches for a
release under development.  Sun's patch generation policy -- and
decisions about which things get backported to previous releases (and
thus issued as patches) -- has *nothing* to do with the content
choices made by any other distribution.

In short, patching's just out of scope here.  A better place to
discuss this would be install-discuss.  That's where the patching and
packaging tools (and policies regarding them) now live.