On Friday 30 March 2007 06:39 pm, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> A packaging system like apt is exactly what I'd like. Frankly, a
> packaging system that blends the binary delivery benefits of apt plus
> the source delivery benefits of "emerge" would be fantastic. The
> network install is primarily what we're missing...that and the pkg
> utilities just feel a little clunky in the 21st century. Sorry for the
> extremely delayed response...been buried.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jason

No problem with a late response, that's the good thing about the net, it gets
your mail when you're not there. That can also be a bad thing...:-/

Seriously, many people have talked about this in the past, and there are some
solutions today such as pkg-get which blastwave uses, and apt was ported with
Nexenta...but I don't think it would matter as long as people got their
packages and were able to have a network enabled install. I beleive we're
moving in that direction, and several projects are in progress that will
facilitate some of this, possibly with SysV packaging as Solaris uses today
(which would require changes of course).

Most all folks would like to see an automated dependency resolving packaging
system.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care about our company!