On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Bonnie Corwin wrote:

This is not advertising. It is attribution and/or verbatim use of third-party man pages.

Remember that man pages are also source files. When we use third-party man pages or take information from third-party sources, we must explicitly cite the attribution in/for those sources. That's what you're seeing in these kinds of pages.

So, let me provide some context.

I am working on a putback of a community driver. The man page displayed part of the BSD license, not all of it, but the 3 clause and the paragraph under it.

I was told that ARC doesn't like copyrights in the man pages.

However, it seems there are some already.

So, this got me to thinking, that actually having the copyright and/or at least state what license the software is licensed under is not that bad of that thing to have, *IMO* (emphasized as I don't believe all share that thought;-).

In searching, there's quite a few other pieces of software that do have copyright notices in them.

For the record, I asked the author to remove the copyright (thanks Garrett) just in case it was a problem and replaced the man page that was attached to my CR to integrate the doc with the new on in bugster.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing something in the man page just to say, this software is licensed under blah-blah, see the blah-blah license for more details. Of course checking the sources is always the best, but it would be a nice way to have a 2nd references (of course at the expense of the authors and/or system putting it there).

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group