John Plocher wrote:
See my other post for a proposal to bring us into a more modern era - basically turn off /home as an automount point when only using local files for nsswitch.conf's automount database.

The problem I see with this is that it makes it more difficult to
transition between the two configuration models - If I start out with
a non-NFS'd install, but then wish to convert to a NFS'd environment,
this path leaves me in a lurch.

I don't believe it does make it difficult at all. Really it is the conversion to using a nameservice+NFS and when you convert to using a nameservice you populate the auto_home map which is referenced from the auto_master map in the nameservice. Part of that is switching nsswitch.conf so that automount looks at NIS, NIS+ or LDAP for the data.

If what you mean is that this standalone laptop/workstation is becoming a NFS server in a networked nameservice environment then I suspect that the trivial 'zfs set mountpoint=/export/home rootpool/home' would be trival compared to the amount of work you will be doing to setup the nameservice and put in all the data.

As for having some things different when running from files versus a network name service, that is already the case - the canoncial example being netgroups (which just don't work at all despite the /etc/netgroup file! and despite the fact it worked in SunOS 4.x !)

--
Darren J Moffat