On 12/04/2007, at 3:33 AM, Luke Huang wrote:
Hi all
I noticed that in Solaris 10, troff itself eqn tbl are there, but I still need pic, please tell me where can I get this? package or source code are both ok.

By coincidence, I just stumbled across http:// heirloom.sourceforge.net/ which among other things includes "portable and enhanced versions of the utilities released by Sun as part of OpenSolaris"

They seem to have added:

* “Plug-and-Play” font handling: troff can access PostScript Type 1, OpenType, and TrueType fonts directly, that is, it can read font metrics from AFM, OpenType, or TrueType files, and can instruct its dpost post-processor to include glyph data from PFB, PFA, OpenType, and TrueType files into the output it generates. * Justification improvements include paragraph-at-once adjustment using a variant of the Knuth-Plass algorithm originally developed for TeX, and options to decrease word spaces and to dynamically change the letter spacing as well as the glyph widths (microtypography). * Pairwise kerning of characters and letter space tracking are supported. troff includes a request to construct kerning pairs for characters from different fonts. * Hanging characters can be used, for example, hyphens can partially or entirely hang over the right margin of a document. * Mechanisms for typesetting small capitals, old-style numerals, and arbitrary ligatures e.g. using Type 1 “expert” or OpenType fonts are provided. * Letters can be of arbitrary size, including fractional point sizes. Individual fonts can be zoomed. * Text input is processed according to the LC_CTYPE environment variable. With a UTF-8 locale, a large set of characters is available without the need to type troff escape sequences. * Hyphenation of international languages is supported using the OpenOffice variant of Raph Levien's LibHnj, which is in turn based on Liang's TeX algorithm.
    * International paper sizes such as A4 can be configured.
* The dpost post-processor can generate instructions for the PDF distiller for the inclusion of bookmarks, links, titles, and authorship information. * Most groff extensions, like long names for requests, strings, and number registers, are supported. A special groff compatibility mode is also provided. * Other troff language extensions include a string search request, output line traps, floating-point registers, and local variables per macro instance.