We currently use ssh in our system and are investigating ways to fulfill an
Application STIG requirement.  Here's the req

APP0530:        Session limits do not exist for the application.

Its actually a checklist item to determine if you have a security finding.
That's why it looks like a negative requirement.  Supporting text for this
requirement indicates that a limit on the number of sessions per user or
process ID OR a maximum limit on the aggregate of all sessions needs to exist.

So, any service used to connect to our box has been targeted by this STIG
requirement.  We have workarounds or config for our insecure protocols, but ssh
(and its derivatives) have posed a problem.  We need to limit the number of
sessions, so cutting CPU and bandwith won't accomplish that.  We also asked
about the unauthenticated config you're talking about with ssh, but this
requirement is targeting authenticated users.