On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Jerry Sutton wrote:

If this problem were easy I figure you folks would have solved it by now. I'm glad to hear it is being worked.

You can say that again.

I'm sure there is a tradeoff between enhancing the SVR4 packaging tools, replacing them with some other existing toolset, and starting from a shiny new source tree with a complete new design.

Very much so, and some folks are looking at packaging, some folks are looking at the install, and some are looking at cleaning up some parts of OpenSolaris where external code has migrated in, which doesn't really belong there.

Please be sure to factor in the learning curve for customers in making that decision. If you hit the jackpot with something which has become as bread & butter as NFS and NIS, I'm sure I'll make the effort to learn it willingly. If you manage to make it really useful for the masses but still allow enterprise class admins to handle complex scenarios, great.

I hope the later is the case.

I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is, and trying to get on the project to help fix it. IOW, I'm not out there yappin' about how lousy the Solaris install it, or how outdated it is. Most of us have known this for years.

With a modern install, Solaris/OpenSolaris will have the opportunity to stand as a leader, as it is now it can stand with the best of them, IMO. Install and configuration has just not been one of the strong points about Solaris to date. Let's see if that can change.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group