On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:43:14PM -0500, Shawn Walker wrote:
>  On 25/04/07, Ceri Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > contribution
> > foregoing
> > credit;
> > domain.

> > there
> > by

> > above.

> > am

> > see
> > they

> > it

> > the
> > mailing

> > >  I don't read it that way, nor do I think that is right. The
> > >  contributor agreement gives you and *Sun* joint copyright.
> >
> > Yes, that's the copyright grant, clause #2.  So far as copyright goes,
> > we are in agreement.
> >
> > > Not any random person on the mailing list.
> >
> > Not a grant of copyright, but clause #3 reads:
> >
> >   You hereby grant to Sun, and to any party who receives Your Contribution,
> >   a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, no-charge,
> > royalty-free,
> >   license under any patents owned or licensable by You at any time without
> >   payment to third parties, to make, have made, use, sell, offer to sell,
> >   import and otherwise transfer Your Contribution in whole or in part,
> >   alone or in combination with or included in any product, work or
> > materials
> >   arising out of the Project to which Your Contribution was submitted, and
> >   to sublicense the foregoing rights to third parties through multiple
> > tiers
> >   of sublicensees or other licensing mechanisms at Sun's option.
> >
> > There's not much grey there.
> >
> > The question I have is just whether an email to an OpenSolaris mailing
> > list constitutes a Contribution.  The clause above states pretty clearly
> > that if it does, anyone who receives the mail can do pretty much what they
> > like with the contents.
>
>  Again, I don't agree with your interpretation. However, if you wish to
>  pursue this further, I suggest consulting legal council. No one here
>  can provide you the information you seek.

It's Sun's wording, so I think that someone from Sun could probably make
the intent here crystal clear and possibly reword the thing to make it
clear in future versions of the agreement, as it happens.

I don't intend to pay for legal counsel so that I can contribute to an
open source project when I can personally avoid the issue by not signing
the agreement and not contributing, but I consider that somewhat
suboptimal.

I am also somewhat concerned about what this may mean for any patches
that may get posted to an OpenSolaris mailing list by someone who has
signed the agreement.

Ceri
                                                  -- Moliere