Joerg Schilling wrote:

>Calum Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 04:10 -0700, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
>>

>>>I have yet to see any GUI that really does the above, although otherwise
>>>hideous AIX's rather nice "smit" tries hard.
>>>

>>One reason for that is that GUIs don't necessarily map 1-to-1 onto CLI
>>commands, or vice versa.  CLIs tend to be modal and procedural, a good
>>GUI is often the opposite.  Indeed, most of the worst GUIs I've seen are
>>just thin wrappers around a pre-existing CLI command, with a bunch of
>>text fields and checkboxes that require you to be familiar with the CLI
>>command anyway.
>>

>A well designed GUI is able to wrap around the CLI of cdrecord, mkisofs,
>readcd, cdda2wav and give you additional functionality that users do not have
>directly with the CLI commands.

The current Gnome offering is pretty good in that regard.  I have a
couple of novice users (including a 10 year old) who are happy to plug
in their cameras and make CDs from a selection of photos.  This is
easier on Solaris than windows.  Even 6 months ago this was a pipe dream
on Solaris!

A cool add-on would be the ability to combine the parts and burn a
Solaris DVD.  Anyone?

Ian