The OpenSolaris project is similar to the Fedora project. See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

The primary reason for the existence of the opensolaris project is to
coordinate the distributed development of Solaris. (The open source version
of solaris is called  opensolaris). User input is a valued part of this
process. Traditionally this input has been buffered from the product
management team by many layers of Sun bureaucracy.
Now, it is relatively straightforward to talk to the developers. If you find
the right community, you can get your questions answered. Generally if you
post something in the wrong forum someone will point you to a correct forum.

However, at least for me, it involved a learning curve, especially if you
are coming from the Solaris perspective, vs the Linux side. I am still
learning how the processes work, which isn't really helped by the fact that
OpenSolaris is a relatively new project and the processes seem to be in
constant flux.

-Brian

P.S. - Feel free to contact me offline, and let me know what resources you
are looking for. I have been working with Solaris, as a user, for over 15
years.

On 5/1/07, W. Wayne Liauh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What the OpenSolaris project needs
> > the most is users.  A bunch of them.
>
> OpenSolaris was created to get developers interested
> in Solaris, not users. Certainly Solaris could do
> with a few of those too.
>
> Andrew.

First time I have learned that OpenSolaris is not interested in recruiting
users.  No wonders non-developer-users like many of us are treated like
secondary citizens (or actually like dirt).  And no wonder even member(s) of
the "Grandeur Barons" will not hesitate in getting into open sparring with
participants (of this forum).  Strange in an open-source world, but perhaps
I should not have been surprised.

No users, & no developers outside of Sun, as far as I can tell, will also
be interested.  Unless Sun is only interested in turning its customers into
(voluntary or involuntary) developers?  I guess the answer is, ostensibly,
yes.

I want to be clear that this is the official attitude.  If so, then many
of us shall not be wasting any of our time here.  And you can be assured
that we will have nothing to do with Sun.