Hi Richard,

I get the feeling you want a guarantee that you'll always get everything
possible, and yet will still be able to have as much influence as possible
on content and direction.  Maybe it's just me, but I think that when someone
else is doing and paying for the vast majority of the work, that's a
little...greedy.  I mean, a reasonable guess might be that the amount of
free labor in terms of actual code they get is so far much less than the cost
of opening up the code, setting up the web site, changing processes, and so
on.  The value of the additional testing, bug reports, and other feedback
might be a different story of course.
oops. I might have given the wrong impression then.
Definitely not greddy. Definitely dont want "control" without working for it/earning it.
My apologies.

As an open source software developer ( personally, i work on KDE a bit and trying to do stuff in KDE/Solaris), i would always use OpenSolaris - derived distros. What I wanted to know is, by working/developing on OpenSolaris, would my work be useful (ie run) on Solaris 10/later versions as well? If so, would be a huge added advantage that SUN would be giving to FOSS developers. I know that is true now, I just wanted to know if it would be true in the future as well.

IHMO, if OpenSolaris based distros go the way Linux distros went, then developing software for OpenSolaris based distros would have the same problem as developing on Linux distros. There has to be a "common base ". For now, AFAIK it is Solaris 10. Basically any binary which runs in Solaris 10 *will* run in SXCE, SXDE and *probably* the latest OpenSolaris build.

OTOH, if SUN chooses to maintain ABI compatibility in the future as well, all FOSS Solaris developers would have a great target platform to develop on. (Which is pretty much the case now).

To summarize IMHO, SUN would be getting even more FOSS developers' attentions by committing to maintaining ABI compatibility, if they want to.

Thanks
Manish

begin:vcard
fn:Manish Chakravarty
n:Chakravarty;Manish
org:SpikeSource Inc;Solution Engineering
adr:;;;Bangalore;Karnataka;56008;India
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Associate Software Developer
tel;work:+91-8041810800