> Right... and I don't disagree with that... but
> somehow the idea that
> "products" start to have their own "blogs" ...
> sounds... uhm... weired.

Let's come to the point: kernel engineers blogging makes the Sun marketing
dept. obsolete. That of course is a problem for a whole bunch of people in the
marketing dept. So what are they going to do? The only thing that *actually
works*, start "blogging".

Do I agree with that? No, of course I don't (not that it matters really what I
think or believe, however, I *am* a Sun customer). I find it sad that the
marketing folks have to resort to "jumping on the bandwagon", because they
couldn't come up with an innovative and effective marketing strategy for the
last 25 years.

My constructive criticism to marketing: ADVERTISE ON TV.  People have only been
telling you that for, oh, forever.

It's not the point to advertise to a niche market; hey, we already know about
Sun Microsystems and Solaris!

Last week I was at a "Sun day" presentation organized onsite at my company.
Suffice it to say I knew more details about Sun's roadmap and Solaris strategy
than the Sun guy giving the presentation. How? Easy! I read engineer's blogs,
and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

The point is to raise awareness with the general public, not with us Solaris
folks!
TV, magazines, billboards.  And on a much bigger scale than what has been done
so far. General public penetration.  Simply the wrong audience is being
targeted with more quality content already being delivered by a different
segment of the company.