Seems like lots of people are bitching and moaning about this.

I for one am all for this. (It seemed at times I was the only one for
it at times).

The fact of the matter is that most of the gnu/Linux command
equivalents are, for the most part, more feature rich and easier to
use.

Would you rather spend your time maintaining a system, or would you
rather have a feature rich system that has a large number of building
blocks included out of the box?

I prefer the second, and that is the Linux approach. Solaris has much
room for improvement in the "out of box" usefulness category. We are
talking 15000+ packages in the Ubuntu universe, all the can be
installed over the network with apt-get. We have a long way to go
before we catch up.

Cheers,
-brian