On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:40:42AM -0600, Bonnie Corwin wrote:

> If someone on the OGB can send the text you'd like used, we'll get it on
> the Communities page.
>
> I assume we don't just want to cut/paste from the constitution because
> that text refers to terms defined elsewhere in the constitution (like
> Members).  And it's not specific about how the submitter will be
> notified of the OGB's action or what to expect wrt the "act of the OGB"
> - does this have to be a vote in an OGB meeting or can it be an email
> vote by the OGB, how soon after the 14 days of discussion should the
> submitter expect an answer, etc.

I actually think the text in section 7.4 is probably not reducible
without loss of information.  It's tempting simply to refer anyone who
wants to form a Community Group to the original source, especially
considering how infrequently this is expected to occur.

However, if we feel we need something more than just a pointer, it
might be worth restating it in a manner similar to this one:

    Community Group formation is governed by section 7.4 of the
    [OpenSolaris Constitution].  The OGB has provided a [guide to
    Community Group formation] to simplify and clarify that process.
    If you have questions about how Community Groups form and operate,
    you are encouraged to ask them on ogb dash discuss at opensolaris
    dot org.

I'll note that instances of 'Community' on this page should also be
replaced by 'Community Group' since that is the Constitutional name.

Our guide, in turn might read something like this:

    Community Group Formation

    This guide is offered to prospective Community Groups to
    clarify the meaning of section 7.4 of the [OpenSolaris
    Constitution]; in the event of a discrepancy between that section
    and this guide, the Constitution governs.  Please report such
    discrepancies and any questions or suggestions for improving this
    guide to ogb dash discuss at opensolaris dot org.

    A Community Group is usually formed by a collection of OpenSolaris
    participants with common interests and a desire to make advances
    in a particular area.  Often, that area is a vertical slice of the
    operating system or a major piece of functionality (such as
    provided by some combination of previously integrated projects),
    but there is no specific requirement to that effect.  To name a
    few examples, Community Groups also exist to help promote
    OpenSolaris adoption, to improve systemic performance, and to
    enhance test technology.  Regardless of a Community Group's
    purpose, it will be expected to sponsor an ongoing series of
    projects to achieve its stated goals and to govern itself in
    accordance with the Constitution's requirements.

    To initiate a Community Group, at least 3 existing Members
    (individuals designated as Core Contributors by any Community
    Group within the past 2 years) must send a proposal to the OGB.
    This proposal must include the Group's name, its purpose or
    charter, and at least 3 initial Core Contributors; every Community
    Group must have at least three Core Contributors, who are
    responsible for making decisions for the Group.  Determining the
    correct level of breadth for a Group's focus can be difficult, and
    so is advisable to examine the existing set of Groups and seek
    guidance from the OGB when making this determination.  The
    proposal must also include the designation of a Member to act as a
    Facilitator, a point of contact between the OGB and the Group.
    The Members proposing the Community Group must post their proposal
    to the OGB's mailing list for public comment.  Normally, if
    comment is favourable (meaning that other participants believe the
    proposed Group to have appropriate focus and adequate leadership),
    the OGB will approve the Group's formation at the first
    meeting after 14 days have passed.  If consensus is not reached in
    that time, the OGB will allow extra time for discussion; in some
    cases, the OGB may vote to deny the Group's formation or recommend
    that the proposal be withdrawn.

    Once the OGB has published the minutes from the meeting in which a
    Group's formation was approved (or an affirmative vote by mail has
    been completed and a summary published to that effect), the OGB
    will inform the proposing members and cause any related resources
    and facilities offered to Groups to be made available.  It will
    also record the status of the initial list of Core Contributors.
    From this time onward, the Group has all the privileges and
    responsibilities defined by the Constitution; it is a peer of
    preexisting Groups.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
FishWorks                       "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"