On 5/11/07, Chung Hang Christopher Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyway. What bothers me is not that there will
> apparently be an effort
> to make the transition from Linux easier, providing
> the features that a
> Linux user is used to, especially on the desktop.
> Nothing wrong with
> that. What does bother me is that articles like
> this, and their
> headlines, make it seem like we want to be "more
> like Linux", implying
> that we lack belief in our own strength.

Yeah, that is the weird part. The only part I agreed
with Murdock's statement is packaging and packaging
tools. The better Linux than Linux part makes me
sick...real marketing nonsense. Linux the kernel will
never (well...maybe not never) match the Solaris
kernel.

I hear you loud and clear there and am adjusting the way I'm speaking
about this accordingly.. The point I was trying to make was: Large parts of
the market want Linux. HOWEVER, when they say they want Linux, they don't
actually mean they want Linux THE KERNEL, they want Linux the distro and
the business model the distros have built around that larger thing.
Why can't Solaris give these users what they want plus a whole lot more?
There's a fine line between driving this point home and looking
like we're just copying Linux, so I'm being far more careful about
what I say till we figure out how to get the message just right.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
650-331-9324