Frank Hofmann writes:
> > Any new LINUX_LIKE_ENVIRONMENT=1 variable or zone or other
> > non-standard method to change behavior would _not_ be something that
> > script writers would know about, nor would it be something that's
> > necessarily reasonable for them to accomodate.  It wouldn't be a "bug"
> > that they failed to take this new thing into account -- they couldn't
> > have known.
>
> Because we haven't told anyone about what Solaris can do ?

That seems to miss the point I'm making.  There are reasonable
precautions that an application design can (and should) be taking
against arbitrary change caused by standard things such as $PATH.
There's no defense against some brand-new global flag.

> BrandZ already allows exactly this. Have we really found out where the
> limits of this "personality" mechanisms are ?

No, BrandZ doesn't allow this.  There's no real expectation that a
Solaris-specific script or application will run in a BrandZ zone.  In
fact, it probably won't.  Instead, the expectation is that
Linux-specific scripts and applications will run there.

That's quite a different case.

> > It'd be a source of bugs with no plausible escape.
>
> Not quite. It's a chance. An enabler. A wonderful way to broaden what
> Solaris can do, and how it can be used.

But not without cost.

> The "I need a /usr/gnu repository" seemed, if I remember right, just to
> forward the have-everything-in-one-place-but-do-not-know-how-to-get-it
> problem that we're trying to address ?

No ... it allows the user to tailor his environment, but does not have
an effect on reasonable scripting or applications.  It's quite
different from the global flag approach.

> >> [*] Topically for this discussion, this includes any script or use of
> >> system() that thinks it's portable but uses "df" or "ps" without a full
> >> path.
> >
> > Same bug as above.  You get what you ask for in that case.
>
> GWYNE - Get what you not expect ...

Frankly, if you use system() and you don't know how $PATH works, you
need to find a new job.