--- Ghee Teo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chao-Feng Guo wrote:
> > Just think it in another way: actually most
> habitants in Hong Kong can listen to and understand
> the Chinese Mandarin. But in reverse it doesn't
> work.
> >
>    Is this assumption true though when comes to
> technical terms and
> topics? (I meant are Hong Kong students their
> Mandarin level is good
> enough to take in the technical terms). Also as an
> overseas Chinese, I
> think the choice of accent can be significant for
> the people from the
> region. Hence the choice of lecturer or translator
> is important.

Let me say that university students barely pass
language tests/exams (whether the tests/exams or the
students are at fault is not a mystery...lecturers
here complain of the poor competency levels in
language) and so I really doubt that their mandarin is
any good at all. Maybe those who are near the forties
and above.