On 18/05/07, Rich Friedeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "Steve Stallion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
>
> Whoa... slow down Tiger.
>
> SVR4 is by far a more complete and cohesive packaging format than is
> available on any other UNIX or Linux distribution. Essentially there
> is no technical merit in tossing SVR4 packaging - not by a long shot.
>
> That said, SVR4 could certainly use a little help with respect to
> usability (pkgadd -D anyone?).
>
> This was posted earlier, but please take an indepth look into the
> packaging guide and see what is provided out of the box - I think you
> will agree this beats the pants off of RPM, .deb, and POTS (plain old
> tarballs).
>
> I would like to invite you to take a look at what Blastwave has
> accomplished with respect to integrating a GNU runtime. You might be
> pleasantly surprised to see your work already done for you.
>
> Steve

the more I look at the structure of SVR4 packages, the more I think you're
right.  I'll cop to being a relative novice with them.  There are a few
things that I look for in a package format that it doesn't seem to provide,
though I'm happy to learn that I'm wrong.

- an embedded package signature.  In the Linux world these are gpg sigs,
though there's no reason why they have to be any particular method.  For
verifying integrity and associating them with a package publisher I trust,
though, I find a signature valuable

Creating Signed Packages:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0406/6mg76stf9?q=sign&a=view

- meta-packages:  There are a number of ways to provide, for example, SMTP
capability.  If I develop a package which requires SMTP, but doesn't need a
particular version of sendmail, postfix, etc., tracking the dependency
against the availability of an SMTP providing  meta-package simplifies a lot
of things.  Ditto for multiple providers of perl, ftp server ...  This
capability could also allow for dummy packages if I, for some reason,
build/install a dependency outside of the package framework.  I could
indicate the dep is in fact satisfied w/o ignoring it.

I don't think it has this ability directly, though you could
accomplish something similar through request scripts.

- Names/descriptions that exceed the 256 char pkginfo NAME limit.  this may
just be a research failure on my part, but I didn't see a location for
longer, sentence/paragraph length descriptions.

This is the one failing I know of.

Of course when installing a package you can have a significantly
longer description shown in the "copyright" notice.

--
"Less is only more where more is no good." --Frank Lloyd Wright

Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/