Where I may differ with you is that I don't care whether the
source and binaries are _packaged_ together, as long as I
can get the corresponding source when I want it.

What I really want is supported binaries, and as much as possible
of the _matching_ source, when I want to download it.  That is,
when what we're assuming might be called Solaris 11 (if marketing
doesn't screw it up again) comes out, not only do I want access to
the source then under development, I want access to the Solaris 11 source,
with some way of telling what source changes equate to what patches.

For submitting changes, things are pretty good now; could use a little
streamlining, but not so much as to allow a mess.  But for troubleshooting,
nothing beats having the source that corresponds to what one's running.

Even with a support contract, getting hold of the people that can dig deep
doesn't always happen quickly; there aren't that many of them.  If a problem
comes up and I have time and matching code, I can quite possibly at least narrow
it down a good deal, even if not necessarily suggest a patch.  That should speed
up the end result of getting a supported fix, which for something operational
as opposed to submitting changes, is all I care about.  Indeed, for an
operational
system, the _last_ thing I want to do is unsupported fooling around (give or
take
something quick, low-risk, and fully reversible, so I can see if I'm on the
right track).