On 5/21/07, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've worked in places where system administrators
> hacked source code
> which was available (BSD Unix, source licenses).
>
> Invariably, it is a *bad* idea; but that point is
> never driven home
> until one of the administrators does leave or is hit
> by a truck.

Yep. You understand. I wish more people did.
Oh wait, that's why you work at Sun. On Solaris.

You are missing something very significant. There are times when doing
so, might give you a significant competitive advantage. Whether that
is time to market, efficiency gains, or some other advantage, there
are many cases that make strong business sense for having paid staff
do customization of third party source.

If you forget that business needs are the primary driver of IT
specifications, you are going to eventually find yourself out of
employment. (You aren't just doing technology for what you think is
cool. You have to be doing what the business needs, not just what you
*think* the business needs).

-Brian