> Pleeeze - GNU Tar is portable to everywhere that has GNU tar.
>
> For the purposes of this discussion, this includes ALL of the OS's
> we are talking about:  Solaris, OpenSolaris, the OpenSolaris Distros,
> RHEL, Fedora and all the other Linux derivatives.

Now there's a LOGICAL argument!
And the fact that it doesn't function correctly, let me guess: it happens so
seldom, it just doesn't matter?

> Leaving aside for the moment its bugs and the mental state of the
> users who have - for better or for worse - decided to use it, the
> fact remains that the transition between a Linux environment and
> a Solaris environment is more difficult than it needs to be.
>
> We need to address that disconnect.

Yes, we do.

> There seems to be two migration paths that are possible:
>
>     Have developers migrate from Linux to Solaris, or
>     Have developers migrate from Solaris to Linux.
>
> Which do you see happening - both short and long term?

First one. Brute force. Solaris is cheaper, faster, better thought out, and has
a strong community that knows the thing inside and out.

> If what is happening differs from what you would prefer,
> what needs to be done to bring the two into alignment?

We need to educate the new users on how to use System V and whean them off of
GNU.
Linux users need to start asking questions.

Real, nice technical questions.

We meet in the middle. It should be a 50:50 effort.