Gerard Nualla wrote:
I see... Let me try that TCSH too.. Gets more interesting... :D

Wanting to change root's shell implies that you are logging
into Solaris as root instead of using su or RBAC.  In general,
on Solaris, logging in as root is seen as undesirable simply
because it can lead to sloppy and/or dangerous behavior and
actions.  Better to login as yourself, with any shell you wish,
and use su on those infrequent times that you need to admin
the system.

With that admonition aside (as with all free advice, it is
worth exactly what you paid for it), there are still situations
where you need to log in as root.

It used to be that root's shell had to be /bin/sh so that,
if your /usr partition got corrupted and you had to boot
without it being mounted, you could still log in single
user and fix things (/usr/bin/bash wouldn't be there in
that case, and root logins would fail with a "no shell"
error message - quite a bummer when you ran into it...)

In S10/OpenSolaris, the system is smart enough to detect
that failure case and fall back to /bin/sh if root's shell
is not found, so it is perfectly safe to change root's shell
to something else.

  -John