Joe Little wrote:
On 5/20/07, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > One picks Linux "as the best choice" only if one doesn't know what one is doing. It is as simple as that.
>

> This kind of thing is coming across more and more as irrational hatred.
> Take it elsewhere, it's not helpful.

It's not hatred, it's true. There is nothing Linux has that Solaris doesn't either.

on x86, its still the sore point of drivers. Regardless of what your
views on what constitutes "running" -- I have many pieces of hardware
from '96 to the present that will run w/ Linux, but not with Solaris.
Probably a good 50-60% in fact. Why? As Ian says, its critical mass,
and no amount of being "better engineered" solves that.
Stability issues favor Solaris drivers:
Having a stable kernel interface which doesn't potentially break drivers with every rev means we can probably get by with a smaller critical mass than GNU/Linux. (or at the very least we can share binary and source drivers between all OpenSolaris distributions.) But I agree, we're not there yet.
Legal issues appear to favor GNU/Linux drivers:
The average user probably doesn't care why device X works on GNU/Linux but not on OpenSolaris, but when I find that DVD players and the built-in SD-Card reader on my laptop work on Linux but not Solaris and then I learn that IP and Legal issues make it impossible for fully legal open source implementations of SD MMC stacks (http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6640645071.html) and DVD(MPEG2+CSS) to exist, I wonder how this works. I can't believe Sun is the only Open Source vender which tries to play by the rules.

Except that Solaris has more, much more. So anybody picking Linux as
"the best solution" does so out of pure ignorance and incompetence.

Ignorance and incompetence have no place in Informatics and Computer Science.