> Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> >> Technical correctness should be thrown out in the
> >> name of popularity.
> >>

> > I tend to think that technical correctness is a
> higher virtue than consensus,
> > popularity, ergonomics, or any other darn thing,
> and anyone who disagrees
> > is simply pandering.
> >
> Sorry, when the key on a keyboard just does not work
> then it is
> technically wrong. I think we should stop pandering
> to people who like
> things broken and just fix the problems.

If it works for anybody, it ain't broken.

I personally don't have a problem with backspace being mapped
to _any_ key that I don't use for anything else.  And on hinky
keyboards that don't have DEL or Backspace keys, I can even
live with Ctrl-? or Ctrl-H, not to mention the difference in
Control/Caps Lock placement between Sun "Unix" layout vs
PC layout keyboards (and the rest of the world, thanks to IBM
fouling up the _proper_ layout where Caps Lock is the same
place it used to be on typewriters).

My point is that all the world's keyboards are wrong and the
use of ASCII DEL for destructive delete and Backspace for non-destructive
backspace is correct, whether that's a royal pain in the backside or not.

Correct is correct, even if _nobody_ likes it.

But since everything nowadays is either about tolerance as the
maximum virtue on the one hand, or (inconsistly enough with that!)
about the absolute power of the majority on the other, as long as it's
possible to choose a default, I suppose I should be content with that,
and realize that nobody gives a damn about absolutes anymore, but
merely about instant personal gratification.

[...]
> > /kernel/drv/options.conf.  Find the example line
> preceeded by the comment
> > "For SunOS 4.x defaults that are 8-bit clean for
> internationalization, use these
> > modes", make a copy of it, and change the :7f: to
> :8: and plug that in as
> > the value for ttymodes, then reboot.
> >
> SunOS 4.x. ??? I think your manuals are out of date.

No, I'm not in lala land.  Since you apparently didn't bother to look at the
file,
see
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/uts/common/io/options.conf#25

or for documentationn, see
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2254/6n4iaov4o?q=options.conf&a=view#Default%20Values

The SunOS 4.x defaults, except for DEL as backspace, are probably
closer to the Linux defaults than the One True Way (SVID) defaults are,
(you think DEL for erase is bad, try # for erase and @ for kill, like in the
grand Teletype days of old; given that an actual printing tty can't erase on
the paper, that made sense way back then).

Anyway, the point is that the systemwide defaults for all tty modes are
configurable.  And that more example would help.  And even that something
that automagically sets up one of a limited number of choices (i.e. the
popularity contest winner, plus the examples listed) at install time might
be kind of cool.

> > Or as the file describes, use stty to set the modes
> you like on the raw
> > console or a terminal emulator that does _not_ do
> key mapping beyond what
> > tty modes do, and then  capture the output of stty
> -g and put that in there.
> >
> It should just work! No user intervention.

Fine, then it should be an install option to set it up
however.  But you'd better plan on a trip to a hot place if you think
everyone else will sign up to having it just do it _your_ way by
default.  You want it different than it is now, _you_ make a once-per-install
tweak (or once per many installs if you're using flar or JumpStart).

> > And I _still_ think a personality option during
> install would be a big help,
> > but it looks like it ought to not just set a
> default PATH that chooses between
> > conflicting traditional Solaris vs GNU commands,
> but also sets up options.conf.
> > Anything else that might become part of a
> "personality" setting?
> > Keeping in mind that for peaceful coexistence,
> >

> I would prefer that things like keyboards just work
> in any personality.

I would prefer that people didn't presume that everyone's
default should be the same, nor that their idea of what is
right be incorporated into all "personalities", were those to
be supported one day.

Heck, I'll admit to being an arrogant jerk if you will first.
But not before.