From: James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It effectively shuts down the possibility of alternate distributions
that focus on different needs and different areas.

I think you're correct in capturing the power of a reference distro, but not
necessarily  the effect of it.  Nexenta and Belenix (as examples) have no
reason not to scratch their own itch and provide the kind of experiences
they want to provide regardless of what a reference distro does.  When
you're talking about a reference as a general purpose OS, though, it gives
developers a place to point so they can have the largest footprint and
largest area of compatibility for people running their software, which helps
draw developers in.  So, if the Nexenta folks want to provide the
GNU/Ubuntu-like experience, but still support a third party app built for
OpenSolaris, they have a definition around which they can mold their own
distro.

I recognize that this begs the question of why not just define a standard
instead of produce a distro and let arbitrary distro producers implement the
standard -- I think the answer to that is softer, but is largely about
practicality.  If there are a set of bits defined as implementing a
community agreed upon standard, a developer can write/test directly on those
bits rather than on a set of bits that fit the letter of the community
defined specification, but may in reality differ from another distro's
interpretation of the specification.

It also leaves wide open the idea of non-general purpose OpenSolaris as a
prime area to deviate from the reference.  A really simple example of this
is a little NAS I have at home which runs some arbitrary Linux.  It would
probably be faster and more reliable if it were OpenSolaris w/ ZFS instead
of Linux with who-knows-what.  That's a great application for OS that has no
reason at all to care about a reference -- I would think there are lots of
similar opportunities for non-destructive divergence apart from the
appliance space.

However, I'm not sure I understand the point of having a specific
OpenSolaris reference distribution, or its risks.

(No, I'm not saying I'm opposed, or that I'm standing in the way [any
more than trying to discuss the issue is apparently seen by some
advocates as "standing in the way"], but rather that the implications
aren't at all clear to me.)

Agreed 100%

Rich