> > I'm interested in doing what needs to be done to
> move
> > forwards and without
> > losing those users that run Solaris 8 and 9 and
> 10.
> >  That is a bit of a
> > challenge to say the least.
>
> If Project Indiana had no Solaris 8-10 users and 5%
> of Linux users, it would still be a success.
> Meanwhile Solaris 8-10 and 11 would still exist for
>  use.
>
> I don't think Project Indiana's primary goal needs to
> be retaining existing Solaris users.  I would place
> that goal pretty far down the list.  Solaris users
> have Solaris, they don't need another OS.  I think
> the primary goal of Project Indiana needs to be
> building the best OS possible to gain the largest
> market share possible.  Coming along for that ride is
> entirely optional.  :)

I thought I'd seen something about Ian _not_ wanting to re-create
the incompatible distro mess of Linux.

But if you're talking about making something that breaks whatever it
has to to "gain the largest market share possible", that's just what would
happen.

Compatibility first makes sense even when courting mass market lusers.
(although some minor things having to do with not how programs interact
with the system, but with how people do, might be ok to change)