The OpenSolaris reference binary can be what everybody
says is needed.
People gripe about the desktop, they want KDE and
XFCE.  Why couldn't
these be part of the distribution?  The only catch is
any binary added
should be from an OpenSolaris project or source. It
would be great to
get Blastwave as an OpenSolaris Project so all the
dependencies would
be
consolidated.

I see this as being good, if mostly everyone
cooperates.

Paul
----------------->

Paul,

There is an OpenSolaris distro of packaged open source
software now on Blu-Ray media.

There were a few ISPs having corrupted files so we put
something the Blu-Ray distro for ISV/IHV/OEM/user
groups/schools and partners needing a "sandbox" of
ported open source software and device drivers for
OpenSolaris. I was originally did this for a Debian
consolidation of the three DVDs. OpenSolaris now has a
platform library of open source software as large as
Debian (and will equal any *BSD distro in ported
packages). The entire Debian 4.0 and OpenSolaris
package collection can now sit on ONE Blu-Ray disc for
worldwide distribution in matter of 1-2 business days.
;o)

Also on the technology front are the recently
available HD-DVD/Blu-Ray dual players (i.e. LG BH100
at $1100 USD) - in which I'm hoping to see the
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray burner component soon at a reasonable
cost.

Anyhow, I think an OpenSolaris 'mini' reference distro
is no problem to build other larger OpenSolaris
distros. This keeps a common ground between distros.

Ken Mays
EarthLink, Inc.