> I am not sure what purpose you need this for, but in
> some cases (path
> in /usr/lib
> for example) it is just
>
> 32 -> 64
>
> which makes it quite simple and obvious without even
> need to determine it
> dynamically.

That's exactly why I need it!
I have built a foundation package for my own software stack. Part of that
package is determining which ARCH it is being installed on, and creating

/opt/abcd/lib/$ISA
/opt/abcd/lib/64 -> $ISA

just like Sun does it.
Well, they seem to create the dir and the symbollic link ad-hoc, I actually
call `installf` to formally register it with the OS software subsystem.

Them's the rules by me. No file *ever* comes onto the system without it being
accounted for, and the OS software subsystem knowing about it. That's how I'm
able to provide extreme consistency and stability on my networks.