Alex Bennee wrote:
Hi,

I've never been able to find the correct TERM magic to fix my remote terminal. My
principle box is a Linux one with a gnome-terminal with which I ssh over to my Solaris
box. The default term setting is "xterm" but this seems to have problems with
re-drawing long lines when I edit previous commands in bash. I end up having to go to the
start and use the arrow keys to go over the whole command to see what it displays.

I've experimented with various other settings for TERM but the best I've
managed is to disable the multi-line display in favour of a scrolling single
line. Most of these settings tend to cause less to complain about the terminal
not being fully functional.

Any ideas or suggestions?

The only other magic I can thing may be affecting things is my prompt variable
and COLRTERM:

PS1=\A [EMAIL PROTECTED] [\W] >
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal

<caveat - I'm no expert at this stuff>

Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to ssh -X over and then
to remote display the gnome-terminal.  Remote display in the
manner you describe works fine between two Solaris machines
(of different architectures) running gnome-terminal.

Note that Solaris doesn't use /etc/termcap, it uses terminfo.
If Linux is using /etc/termcap, you may wish to use
captoinfo(1M) to convert the Linux machine's /etc/termcap
entry to a new terminfo entry and use that when logging
in remotely.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts