Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Gary Gendel wrote:
>> I work for an extremely Linux-centric company. Believe it or not,
>> when I mentioned that Sun's Compiler is available on Linux to the
>> CTO, he was ecstatic. However, how do you convince the third-party
>> vendors to supply their libraries for this? In the past the C++ name
>> mangling differences between Sun and Gnu compilers have made this
>> impossible. Has anything changed to resolve this?
>
> How do they deal with the incompatible C++ ABI's between different
> gcc/g++ releases?

IMO, In a very silly way:
1) Provide "toolkits" that includes a g++ compiler and all libraries
built with that version of the compiler.
2) Require that all distributed products are statically linked.

BTW, I have a different problem with our Solaris platform support...
Some of our customers won't patch things unless they are required to.
This means that I couldn't use a Sun Compiler beyond Version 8 with
Solaris 8 machines because it would require them to install a C run time
library patch. To them this is a very big deal. Now that Solaris 8 is
EOL, they are migrating to Solaris 9. This makes this less of an issue,
but it doesn't eliminate it entirely. I will be happy when that version
reaches it's EOL too.

Gary