Thanks for putting up a focused (at least intend to be) thread on the subject.
Now, I've been tracking indiana-discuss last week or so, but still feel there
is a conflict on what indiana should be.

Current consensus seems like indiana is to be a minimum/core distro for other
distro to refer, to build upon. On the other hand, I've also seen in various
posts that indiana should reach to greater audience and to the face of
opensolaris.org, something people point to when asked about os.o

Now here is what I see as a conflict, what will be for a representative distro
like indiana if it's only a minimum/core distro, and lacks comparative appeal
and functionalities to catch eyes of targeted audience? How could it attract
people accustomed to Ubuntu or Fedora, and those who mostly uses linux as their
desktop?

Also, in the Fedora/RHEL analogy, Actually Fedora is not only a "core" distro
for RHEL, but also an indicator of what to come in RHEL, it's more like current
SXCE rather than a barebone OS. Often it's Fedora got everything new and
should-be-cool stuffs rather than the other way around.

So if there will be further summary/clarification of project indiana, I hope
this positioning question could be addressed more. Please feel free to move
this discussion to fitting thread, and please free free to correct if I got
things wrong.

Cheers,
Ivan.