Working with a slimmed down install svn_61 the ifconfig -a plumb used to search
interfaces from devinfo tree is failing with the error:
ifconfig: di_init failed; check the devinfo driver

looking through the source code I matched it to this line section of code:
476 static void
477 foreachinterface(void (*func)(), int argc, char *argv[], int af,
478     int64_t onflags, int64_t offflags, int64_t lifc_flags)
479 {
480         int n;
481         char *buf;
482         struct lifnum lifn;
483         struct lifconf lifc;
484         struct lifreq *lifrp;
485         struct lifreq lifrl;    /* Local lifreq struct */
486         int numifs;
487         unsigned bufsize;
488         ni_t *nip;
489         int plumball = 0;
490         int save_af = af;
491
492         /*
493          * Special case:
494          * ifconfig -a plumb should find all network interfaces
495          * in the machine by traversing the devinfo tree.
496          * Also, there is no need to  SIOCGLIF* ioctls, since
497          * those interfaces have already been plumbed
498          */
499         if (argc > 0 && (strcmp(*argv, "plumb") == 0)) {
500                 /*
501                  * Look through the kernel's devinfo tree for
502                  * network devices
503                  */
504                 di_node_t root;
505
506                 /*
507                  * DINFOCACHE is equivalent to DINFOSUBTREE | DINFOMINOR |
508                  * DINFOPROP | DINFOFORCE.
509                  */
510                 if ((root = di_init("/", DINFOCACHE)) == DI_NODE_NIL) {
511                         (void) fprintf(stderr, "ifconfig: di_init failed;"
512                             " check the devinfo driver.\n");
513                         exit(1);
514                 }

Can someone say what is causing this error or where I may look to resolve this.
I suspect something with devfsadm/d and /etc/path_to_inst,
/etc/devices/snapshot_cache but I am stumped as to what is wrong.  If I
manually ifconfig plumb the interface it works fine.

When i do a truss it seems to fail after /devices/pseudo/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]:devinfo
ioctl(4,
ioctl(4,0xD...  = ENOTACTIVE

thanks for any halp in advance