"Dennis Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Re : http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html
>      GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
>      Version 3, 29 June 2007
>
>      plain text at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt
>
> This looks to be the version that is presented and approved by the FSF.

Approved by the FSF does not mean approved by the OSI. For now, the GPLv3
is not yet an accepted free license.

> I'm not sure how this affects the OpenSolaris.org project but at least
> this version appears to be stable at the moment.  I don't like the
> risk of a long endless flame thread here but I think its worth looking
> at this license as a great amount of software "out there" will be under
> this license over time.  That is a wild assumption of course.

I hope that I don't start such a thread by answering your questions:

1)      The equivalent of GPLv2 § 8 was removed.
        GPLv2 § 8 did make any program non-free acording to OSI § 6
        if the author did make use of GPLv2 § 8.

        The removal of the equivalent of GPLv3 § 8 makes it easier for
        the GPLv3 to get accepted by OSI.

2)      GPLv3 still is as viral as GPLv2. If you create a derived work
        and add code, you need to publish the complete source under
        GPLv3. The claims in GPLv3 § 5 b) do not really differ from
        what's in GPLv2. There are still only the same exceptions for
        adding code under differente licenses as in GPLv2 and the
        wording is not better or easier to understand.

3)      GPLv3 explicitly allows you to give additional grants byt permits
        any redistributor to remove these additional grants. The effect
        of this kind of grants is similar to dual licensing. People
        may remove grants and create a new work that is published under
        less free conditions than you like.

4)      GPLv3 is definitely incompatible to GPLv2. You cannot create
        a work by combining code from GPLv3 and GPLv2 sources.

Please note that we did agree on not starting a OpenSolaris or Sun related
discussion about GPLv3 less than 6 months after the final version has been
oublished. This means no such discussion before Jan 1st 2008.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)