.

> So, I'm sold.  But, now I need a hardware card to support 8-12 sata drives,
> and finding one that Solaris can use is quite difficult.  I was hoping to get
> something more simple and less expensive than the 3ware cards, since the riad
> control would now be strictly software.

Software 'raid' SATA controllers hardware can support 8-12 and more
with port multipliers...the problem is that port multiplier support is
not in yet as far as I know.

> I have only found maybe 1-2 cards even close (and I can't find confirmation
> they work), and those are all PCI-x which my current Dell server doesn't
> offer.
>

> So the long and the short:
> Are there ANY JBOD sata controller cards support 8+ drives that are (A) PCIe
> and (B) work with Solaris?

Sun's wonderful 48 drive system?

> I've tried browsing the HCL, but it didn't yield much.  I read tons of posts
> and blogs from people running 8-10 disc ZFS pools using Sata drives, but no
> mention of the controller cards they used.  I've tried emailing, with no real
> luck.
>
> Anyone help me?

Push for port-multiplier support for sil3124, marvell and ahci
drivers. A four port SATA card plus 5 drives hanging on each port
makes for a total of 20 drives when port multipliers are used.