> Something must be wrong with your build as Mplayer rarely crashes for me.

What ever is wrong with "my build" of Mplayer is wrong for everybody else, for
I installed it from Blastwave.

> Maybe they do not want people to be sued. If you want to distribute it
> in a "box", then you should pay the license holders first.

Uh-uh, sorry, nope, that *excuse* just does not cut it. And as far as I'm
concerned, that is nothing more than an excuse.

> The sparse zone conflict can be resolved by mounting a loopback
> filesystem if the codecs are located in a separate directory.

That is called 'fixing the effect' rather than trying to fix the cause. And the
cause in this case is a strike against the standards.

I'll be damned if I'm going to go out of my way to configure a *kludge* just
because the original packager doesn't understand UNIX System V Release 4.

Even sparrows on the branch outside already know that *NOBODY EXCEPT THE
VENDOR/DISTRO MAINTAINER* is *ALLOWED* to *WRITE* to /usr!
When will people finally realize that! It's only been preached forever and day.

> I do not see Sun buying out codec providers anytime soon. Therefore I do
> not see the 'potential conflict'. If they do, the a new compatible
> package can be created.

Nevertheless, the potential for conflict is there and therefore the
implementation is not clean, and it can be avoided *GRATIS* just by recompiling
and repackaging for /opt, as the standard intends. Problem solved, and it's
guaranteed that the conflict can never happen.