On 7/19/07, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Voluminous - yes
> > Detailed - yes
> > Usability - I have mixed feelings. Often it has been notes put up on
> > the blogs, mailing list archives or queries on newsgroups that seem to
> > give me the right answers.
> > (I can count myself among those who has devoured *huge* number of
> > documents @ docs.sun.com with each running into many 100s of pages).
>
> One often needs some base knowledge in order to be able to digest the wealth
> of information on docs.sun.com, yes, that's a fact of life.

Ah ! what can I say about the assumptions that are made.

> But there are tons and tons of step-by-step guides and introductions to ease
> beginners into, and let them build up that background knowledge there as
> well
> on docs.sun.com.

There are tons and tons of information but not for beginners to ease
them. It is for people (lots related to system administration) who
might be doing a set tasks many times over, they can take a printout
of the doc and use it as a desk top reference. It is useful for that,
no doubts about it.

> This is more likely a byproduct of human impatience than lack or form of
> information. Humans tend to be an impatient lot wanting instant
> gratification, and for
> some bizzarre reason, this behavior seems to be amplified when using
> computers.
> It's a paradox.

I have sending one mail just to show why docs.sun.com is not suitable
for a beginner who would like to get to know OpenSolaris.
Have a look at my next mail.

> On the other hand, if you have suggestions on how to make the subject
> materia on
> docs.sun.com better, I'm pretty sure that the documentation team would love
> to hear
> from you. I know they've acted upon user feedback before, and that
> documentation
> quality was better off for it.

That I'll surely do.

regards