Toying around with using a minimal RAM-resident version of OpenSolaris
(currently 80MB) as an appliance platform.   The idea here would be that the OS
would be real small, would boot real fast (from flash), would have no disk
footprint, and most importantly -- be stateless.   The stateless part is where
it gets tricky.  For some use cases, state must be preserved across boots.   As
one example, (storage appliance) a kludge here would be to have a small private
zfs zpool called SYS which keeps state and gets mounted early in the boot
process.   I've played around with creating a zfs-kludge SMF service which, as
its name implies, is kludgy, but seems to accomplish this OK.

Continuing down this path, I now realize that the SMF repository will need to
be preserved across boots also.  At minimum, the repository will change, for
example,  as shares are administered.   I've read a few of the blog entries
explaining the interaction with boot and SMF, and am wondering if I could add
some additional kludgery.   Would it be possible to have a service which, upon
reaching some kind of milestone, switches repositories from the static one
found in the flash boot image to one that could be modified and preserved?

The Solaris 10 smf_bootstrap(5) manpage suggests that the present version of
smf(5)  does  not  support  multiple repositories.

Thanks,
-- Jim C