> so what you are saying is....most  devices don't work
> out of the box?  I guess I asked that question wrong.
> Does solaris support plug n play devices?

Some devices work, some don't. As much as I hate to
write it, truth be told, it's still a hit 'n' miss thing.

Sun is big on abiding by the standards as much as possible,
which means that all of the devices that adhere to the specs
and standards should work.

The catch is, very few devices on the consumer market today
do abide by the specs and standards. The Solaris's answer to
this have been revisions to various subsystems, mostly USB,
as far as I can tell.

For example, I've had and still have a hell of a time with my
Maxtor External USB drive under Solaris 10; my external
USB 2.0 hub / card reader doesn't work; and I get
"timeout error retrying command" or some such (reported
recently here by someone else).

On Nevada snv_61 (future Solaris 11) those devices work fine.
But my PalmOne still doesn't work correctly unless I specifically
modify one of the driver's configuration file (scsa2usb.conf).

So, hit 'n' miss. It's getting better and better though.