> Plenty but comes unwilling to pay the huge amount -
> IT is a cost centre,
> it generates no money directly for the company.

I've witnessed a lot os such companies that regarded IT as just a cost center.
Most of them are either long history by now, going bankrupt or otherwise
struggling, all thanks to the incompetent management that pushed numbers in
Excel sheets and did "Powerpoint engineering" all day long.

You can see the classic pattern: the above, currently very, very fashionable,
and then there are companies who see IT as a weapon which gives them the
competitive edge (and it usually does). Why? Because no expense is spared, no
person is too expensive. But the cash is rolling in, and most managers were
techies themselves at one point or another. Yes, there are companies like that,
rare nowdays, but they exist.

Comes back to my majority, which is technically incompetent management, mostly
comprised of economists, that only knows how to do reorgs and push numbers
around in Excel. Anything for a bonus high enough for a new Ferrari.

> Yes, but at the same time, there needs to be 'new
> blood' - lowering the
> bar doesn't mean dumbing it down to the point of
> having a moron in
> charge, but if it means it allows people to gently
> ease into it, then I
> say 'lower the bar'.

Yes, there needs to be "fresh blood", but it's our responsibility to educate
them and bring them up, and not look the other way and take the line of least
resistence.

> Because people like me don't want to be beholden to a
> 'service provider'
> who has me by the balls by virtue of all my files
> being on their
> computer. I like the idea of owning my own storage,
> my own computer -
> I'm ultimately the architect and creator of my own
> computing experience.

And why should you? What's stopping us from building a set-top server that will
reside on top of the TV in the living room and serve a bunch of wireless thin
clients all over the house? It doesn't need a desktop, nor does it need an
installer. It just needs to be reliable and run applications that enable the
people to do what they want to do. Does it matter if those run inside of a web
browser or on a similar principle if they fullfil their function and run fast?
For something like that, you won't even need a PC or a desktop or a pretty
installer, nor will anybody care.