David McDaniel wrote:
> Wondering if anyone knows the reason mmap always returns space 64K aligned on
> 32 bit sparc apps.
> If many small files are mmap'd, lots of address space gets eaten up.
> Also, can it be changed via a knob anywhere?

The ELF alignment requirement for 32bit executables is 64k.  Since there
was no MAP_ALIGN flag for mmap, the default alignment returned from
mmap was made to be the same as the ABI-required executable requirement.

Have  you tried passing a 8K alignment requirement to mmap?  I believe
it defaults to 64k.... I'm not sure will do what you want, but there's
a good chance.

- Bart
--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts