>> Solaris is uniquely situated to make this dream a reality.
>  > With the support of Sun Microsystems, resources
>
> Solaris is not very well positioned in the UI competition. Sun, it
> appears, has consciously chosen not to actively develop a desktop, but
> to patiently swallow whatever gnome.org is producing. Hire a few more
> GNOME polishers - and you get another Ubuntu, why bother. That's the
> real frustrating part: most people see the problems (except those in
> denial), yet very little can be done about that. Cheerleading only makes
> it more bitter.

Artem:

This is hugely unfair.  Sun created the accessibility infrastructure that
is used in GNOME based (and compatible with) the accessibility infrastructure
used by Java.  Sun has contributed a great deal back to the GNOME community
and delivers well received value add products on top of GNOME including Trusted
JDS and APOC.

Korey:

Considering Section 508 government requirements that all U.S. government
funded agencies (including schools, libraries, etc.) must purchase accessible
software solutions, distros that use GNOME are well poised to compete with
Windows in these markets.  Sun is probably better poised due to its already
established customer base in the U.S. government and the fact that Sun
dedicates more engineering effort towards supporting accessibility than
other distros.  Overall accessibility works better on Solaris (with one
important exception...).  At the moment, Ubuntu does have a slight lead in
the accessibility market since their installer is accessible.  I don't think
that Sun would require a great deal of effort to catch up in this area
especially since we are already working on a GTK+ based installer (though
accessibility support is not currently planned for the initial release
unfortunately).

Having said that, I think there are a few things that would be good to get
done before trying to compete with Windows and other Linux vendors in the
desktop arena.

- Finish the port from Xsun to Xorg Xserver, including on Sparc.
- Virtual Terminals support which is in the works
- Complete the SunAudio to OSS migration.
- Make further progress with Project Indiana (e.g. provide the sorts
   of tools that Linux users expect like autoconf, automake, libtool,
   etc.).  This is also in the works, obviously.
- Media codec support (MPEG, encrypted DVD, WindowsMedia, etc.).  If
   not directly in the OS, at least users should be able to buy and
   download plugins from somewhere (e.g. Fluendo).

I think it would be great if Sun gave these sorts of tasks a bit more
priority and started to seriously consider the desktop market.  It's not
high margin like selling mainframes, but I'd think Sun could make a serious
competitor to Microsoft and Apple if we wanted to.

Just my opinion...

Brian