> "Brian Gupta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On 7/30/07, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Brian Gupta writes:
> > > >
> http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L179+I0+T+M10+P1+Q
> > >
> > > Ah, a license fork.  What fun!
> > Personally I think this is a complete perversion of
> the open source
> > movement, and can't believe this hasn't gotten
> wider coverage...
>
> The "exception" seems to make CUPS non-free software
> acording to OSI
> http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd as the exception
> seems to violate
> the anti-discriminating paragraphs.

You don't know how the game is played.  It doesn't discriminate
against anyone, it discriminates _in favor_ of some folks (the
copyright holder, and those uses of the product on their operating systems).

At one time, a law was passed that credit card purchases of
gasoline (petrol, or for the German speakers, if I recall, the word is Benzin),
could not have a surcharge applied to them by the retailer (in other words,
they couldn't pass along the credit card company's service fee).  They
got around that by raising the price and then giving a corresponding
discount for cash purchases.