> Well, I am not going to tune the kernel, but I was
> just wondering.

This isn't kernel tuning, not on Solaris. This is something you simply switch.
Then you can control the various parameters while the system is running,
without rebooting.

In general, Solaris needs no kernel tuning, since most parameters that affect
the performance are computed dynamically.

Very little tuning is needed for Oracle, about two parameters, but on Solaris
that's the exception and not the norm.

> Ok, Solaris has several different
> tunable schedulers, whereas Linux has one. Linux
> scheduler is aimed at server use, presumably solaris
> kernel is also. I wonder, is Solaris snappier than
> Linux, then? There are complaints on Linux scheduler.

Solaris meets or exceeds Linux in performance. For instance, Solaris will
outperform Linux with Apache + PHP + Oracle/PostgreSQL/MySQL.

I even once read that if a situation occurs where Linux is faster than Solaris,
Solaris engineers treat that as a bug in Solaris and assign it high priority to
fix.